2013/02/14

Present.me - Great Presentation tool

What is Present.me?
Present.me (https://present.me/) is a web program that enables you to create your presentation with your slides and webcam recording. You can upload your presentation (ppt., pptx., or pdf.) and add a narrative with the aid of webcam and microphone. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to use  Present.me?
  • Sign up for free account 
  • Fill out form 
  • Log in with your own account 
  • Start to record your presentation 
       - Start to record 
       - End and review 
       - Publish 
       - Upload your presentation (ppt,pptx,or pdf)
          
        
 Here is a video from YouTube presenting how to use Present.me:

Here is my presentation by using Present.me:
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Present.me in Language Teaching and Learning
  • Teachers can provide their additional tutorial materials through Present.me and send it to their students. Teachers can make the presentation as if they are facing students in the real classroom. Before recording the presentation, teachers can also prepare a whiteboard to write on to show important notes to students.
  • Teachers can give specific topics to students and ask them to present their PowerPoint with Present.me. It is just like a real presentation but students don't need to stand in front of their classmates and reduce the speaking nervousness. By making presentation with Present.me, students would become more engaged and be more aware of their body languages and eye-contact. 
  • Before teaching a new lesson, teachers can provide students a task to make a presentation with Present.me concerning the new topic of the lesson in order to elicit students' schemata and scaffold their ideas. At the end of the lesson, teachers demand students provide feedback and review the previous lessons by making the presentation.
  • Both teachers and students can share useful resources with Present.me. In the recording with their PowerPoint or PDF file, they can explain the importance of the file and explain some questions for the audiences. 
  • Present.me could be regarded as e-portfolio for record and assessment. Both teachers and students can create their own portfolio to store their work (PowerPoints or PDF) and their presentation. After a period of time, they can compare their former work and recent ones to analyse their differences as well as advantages and disadvantages. They can learn from their mistakes as well. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Benefits of Present.me
  • You can add a narrative to your presentation. In the Present.me presentation, you can see the eye-contact, facial expression and body language of the presenter
  • Present.me provides more opportunities for presenters to practice their speaking skill. 
  • Completed presentation can be shared.
  • When rehearsing  the presentation with Present.me, presenters can analyse the completed presentation (observing their pronunciation, body language, eye-contact, etc.) and manage to improve future performance. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Limitations
  • Limited service for free plan.
  • Presenter might feel nervous before the webcam. 
  • Video recording might distract audience from the content of the presentation. 
  • Presentation cannot show the flash of the original PowerPoint and cannot hide the ongoing content.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Further Reading
  • Present.me -  Free Technology for Teachers
          http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2011/05/presentme.html#.UR1Hy7KBUxU

6 comments:

  1. I like your links to further reading and really glad you are looking at tech4teachers,I am impressed with present me. Do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russell, thank you for your comments. I do like Present.me. It is a great tool for distance learning and it increases the interaction of the presentation. But the video recording sometimes might distract audience from focusing the content.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this intro to PresentMe - how about a short presentation of your own using the tool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will upload a presentation by using Present.me soon. Thank you for your comment and suggestion, Tilly.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Aileen. I have read many posts of your blog and learned a lot from you. I really like the Further Reading part.I could see the the videos you embedded and the links you put in your blogs are all very carefully chosen. Love them a lot.

    About "Present Me", I like your idea third idea in 'Present in Language Teaching and Learning' that teachers could ask students to prepare for the topic to activate their schemata. And I would suggest that after the lesson, teachers could ask students to do a self evaluation about their previous presentation and then compare what they have done with what they have learned from the teacher so that they could reflect on not only their own previous work but also on the teachers' lesson.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cecilia! Thank you for your comment. I think your suggestion is brilliant. Reflection and self-evaluation would require students more opportunity to improve their learning and deepen their understanding as well.

      Delete